Sunday, April 01, 2007

Kelp Cam

Regular readers of this blog know that I an advocate of the health and sustainability of our local kelp beds. If you ever wondered what was going below the surface of these kelp beds and you are not adventurous enough to put on a mask and snorkel, then you can check out the Scripps Kelp Cam. This is a live cam at the Scripps aquarium that shows what the kelp ecosystem looks like.

To see the Scripps Kelp Cam at Camzone.com click here then find the link on the left side of the page to Scripps Kelpcam.

I think once people observe what is going on in these kelp beds it will them understand why it is so important to maintain them.



See also: Leucadia!: But who else except for surfers would notice...?

Thanks Nick!

8 comments:

  1. lame site. My clothes are going out of fashion waiting for the live cam, finally gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Works for me. Are you on AOL or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Works for me too. I'm not on AOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I surfed Pipes today. The kelp is coming back in a big way and there was more sand on the beach than I have seen in years! More bikini clad coeds as well. It's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jp if you love live kelp so much how come i've seen you munching sushi.
    ha got ya

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to doubleclick, but it works for me, too! Beautiful marine environment, JP. Thank you; you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelp studies were made by Sripps over the years by a guy named Dr. Wheeler North. North found that the warm sea water in 1957 killed off many coastal kelp beds.The sea urchins got the edge munching young kelp before they could grow.Abalone disappeared due to a lack of kelp food.Kelp is important and clean cold water its mainstay.If you have surfed San Miguel, Cuatro Casas,or other Baja spots you know healthy coastal kelp.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard Kelp seeks and drowns spongboards....

    Bring on the Kelp!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting on the Leucadia Blog.
There is nothing more powerful on this Earth than an anonymous opinion on the Internet.
Have at it!!!